School of Professional Programs
SHRM - Essentials of Human Resources Course
Small investment in quality training, big payback
This SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course covers the topics you need to meet key HR challenges that are relevant to you and your company. In 15 hours of training time, you can cover the issues you need to reduce potentially costly lawsuits.
Developed by leading HR experts, HR practitioners, and legal counsel, the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course covers introductory HR topics in a condensed, easy-to-understand format. The straightforward format ensures that HR concepts can be mastered and applied to real-life situations. You will:
- Keep up with key federal laws in areas such as total rewards, equal employment opportunity and harassment
- Improve employee recruitment and selection
- Increase your knowledge of orientation, onboarding, development and training
- Understand best practices for employee handbooks
- Download and use sample templates like employment applications, job descriptions, disciplinary policies and more
This Tuesday night program combines expert instruction with the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources, so you will learn faster and retain more knowledge to accelerate your future in HR.
What Students are Saying
"This is a must-do training for all new folks to the human resource function. Not only do you learn the Fundamentals of HR but you also get to learn from your peers the challenges they face. Very good chance you'll have a different perspective and understanding of the human resource function within your organization" - Peter Frank, Director of Finance
Contact us for class schedule details:
Why Enroll in Our Course?
Offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the curriculum provided in the SHRM Essentials of HR is designed by global subject matter experts and incorporates six key topics from the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge™ (SHRM BoCK™). Our course is designed to help you learn and retain the material effectively and efficiently by combining learning materials with expert instruction and peer discussion.
Marist's program offers you a strong foundation to advance your HR career.
Benefits To You:
- An experienced, SHRM-certified instructor.
- A solid HR knowledge foundation to build on as you advance in your career.
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track.
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers.
- It sets the stage for further professional development with the SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification.
- Professional Development Credits (PDCs) or recertification credit hours and a certificate upon completion.
Benefits To Your Employer:
- Reduces the company’s risk of high-cost litigation.
- Promotes a consistent understanding of the HR function to non-Human Resources.
- Offers professional development for divisional or departmental supervisors to ensure HR compliance.
- Develops a common dictionary of HR terms for the entire organization.
- Enhances the importance of the HR function within your company.
Who Should Enroll in This Course?
Designed as a thorough introduction to HR basics, the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course provides a solid foundation in human resources concepts and is effective training across multiple job responsibilities and career paths.
- New and junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base
- Small business owners or office managers who perform the HR function for their company and business managers who want to learn basic HR best practices to avoid costly litigation
- New or experienced managers interested in learning more about employee management skills
- Representatives selling or supporting HR systems and services
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to enhance their resume with HR skills
Course Details & Options
Marist courses are specifically tailored to meet the needs of adult learners and are taught by instructors experienced in the HR field. Students will be expected to complete all assigned readings and activities prior to each class.
Course Dates: Wednesday evenings starting March 4, 2020
- Wednesdays - 6:30 - 9:30 pm, five sessions
- March 4 - April 1, 2020
- Makeup date April 8, 2020
Location and Course Fees
- Marist College, 3399 North Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
- Course fee: $600.00
We understand the demands on the HR professional. That's why the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course balances printed materials, online learning, and live instructor support to meet students' learning needs and schedules.