School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Admission Requirements
You have put a lot of thought into making the decision to apply. Make sure you don’t forget the details!
Preparing to Apply
Before you begin the online application, we highly recommend you have your current resume and personal statement finalized. Both documents will be uploaded to the centralized application. You will also need a copy of your transcript(s) available in order to enter your coursework into PSYCAS.
How to Apply
All applications for admission will be processed through the American Psychological Association’s (APA) centralized application service for graduate psychology programs (PSYCAS).
Application Deadline - April 15 (applications after this date will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
You will create an account via the online application portal (preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox). If you encounter any issues, please contact our technical support at 617-612-2088 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
You will select the following:
- Term – fall
- Institution – Marist College
- Program – MA in Mental Health Counseling
A Complete Application in PSYCAS includes the following:
- Official transcripts from each college/university attended. The undergraduate transcript should document a major in psychology or a closely related field (non-psychology majors will be considered with satisfactory prerequisite courses as indicated below). It must also indicate a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (based on a system where a 4.0 equals an A grade). Bachelor’s degree noted transcripts must be submitted prior to matriculation
- Electronic transcripts will be accepted through Credentials Solutions, National Clearinghouse, or Parchment. Be sure to enter PSYCAS as the recipient
- Official transcripts can be sent via mail to:
PSYCAS Transcript Processing Center
PO Box 9138
Watertown, MA 02471
- Current resume
- Official GRE report PSYCAS score report code is 7443 (GRE waivers based on advanced degrees will be considered by the program director)
- Personal statement outlining educational background, experiences, and goals, and the reason(s) for selecting Marist’s MA in Mental Health Counseling program
- Three letters of recommendation (from academic or employment professionals)
- You must supply the names and email addresses for each recommender in PSYCAS in order to submit your application
- Interview with program director
Coursework (with a grade of 3.0 or better) comparable to the following courses:
- Introduction to Psychology
- Research Methods in Psychology/Social Sciences
- Abnormal Psychology (preferred not required)
Applicants seeking to have previously completed graduate coursework considered for Transfer Credit must take an additional step in the application process. A written request for transfer of specific graduate course credits, and their official catalog descriptions must be included in the application. A minimum grade of 3.0 is required in transfer courses, which must be sufficiently comparable to Marist courses.